Garden City Nursery School (GCNS) is a parent cooperative founded in 1951.
In 2018-2019 we have a total of 98 students, 18 faculty and administration. GCNS has a strong legacy, as a result, a large percentage of our students’ parents are alumni who’ve chosen to create new childhood memories with their families.
What sets GCNS apart? GCNS…
- Is the only nursery school in Garden City registered with the New York Department of Education with State Certified Head Teachers.
- Is the only school in Nassau County that was designed and built as an early childhood school. (It is not a converted space.) It was uniquely designed with climbing trees, a tire swing, bicycle paths, sandboxes, playhouses, and more, so it offers children a place to develop and explore nature.
- Incorporates a play-based curriculum to maximize the child’s growth. Self-directed activities enhance the child’s confidence and their gross motor, fine motor, socialization and speech skills.
- Employs a Readiness Program to prepare children for the New York State Common Core curriculum.
- Is more than a school; it is a community.
- Prioritizes parent communication through participation in the classroom and open dialogue with teachers about each child’s unique needs.
- Focuses our family-centered program on parent-child development and family support throughout.
- Promotes friendship and a sense of community among our families with well-attended, organized social events.
- Allows a parent to experience a pre-school classroom firsthand and gain helpful parenting skills during participating parent days.